Monday, February 8, 2010

Conversation with Singaporean taxi driver, Saturday, 8.20 am

TD: Is this your first time in Singapore?
Me: Yeah, I arrived last night
Me: Where can you get the best food in Singapore?
TD: Best food is in Lau Pau Sat. But be very careful. Always ask for the price first. Or it will get very expensive. Since you are foreigner everyone will try to cheat you.
Me: OK thanks,  I'll remember that.

Then he accidentally "missed" the exit to my hotel and insisted that he couldn't just stop on the side of the road to drop me off but had to go around the block to the front of the hotel lobby. And 10 minutes later when we finally arrived at the hotel, he pushed a button on the taximeter that doubled the fare and said:
 "OK, that's $20. Sorry for extra long way".

I thought it seemed a bit expensive but didn't feel like starting a fight about it. Later I found out that the ride shouldn't have cost anymore than $5. Max. I guess he wasn't lying when he said that everyone would try to cheat me.
B.a.s.t.a.r.d.

No comments:

Post a Comment