Tuesday, February 9, 2010

My food addictions - the countdown.

Since I moved to Sydney I have had some the best eating experiences of my life. Particularly in terms of Asian food (which is crap in Sweden). So I thought I would give you the list of my various food addictions since I moved here in 2005.

2010 - KOREAN BBQ. Had an amazing Korean BBQ at Jompas place about a week ago. Jompa and his parents had been up cooking until 2am! the previous morning and delivered a feast! It was soo yummy and I'm ashamed that I haven't had have Korean BBQ until 2010. Why haven't I? Everything is cooked in garlic and chili. My favourite spices - so it really doesn't make any sense. Anyhow, 2010 will be the year of Korean BBQ. I can feel it.

2009 - YUM CHA and SVEN'S VIKING PIZZA. In mid 2009 I developed an unhealthy obsession with Yum Cha, which I'm not over yet (and probably never will be). Luckily there is an awesome yum cha restaurant 2 minutes away from my house - although Jompa will probably be upset when I say that. He's taught me everything I know about Yum Cha. And for some reason he doesn't rate Manly Phoenix. But I do.

And Sven's Viking Pizza, well, it's just delicious. Best pizza in Sydney. Without a doubt. And I'm not just saying that because I know the owner.



2008 - SUSHI TRAINS. In 2008 I fell in love with sushi and had to go to my favourite sushi train restaurant, Makoto (at World Square), for lunch at least 3 times a week. Now I probably feast there once a week.



2007 - SPICE I AM. The only Thai I eat since I had my first dinner there three years ago. What else needs saying. Thank you LMC for taking me there.



2006 - JAPANESE (NOT SUSHI). I fell in love with Japanese food after a skiing trip to Japan in 2006. Before that trip I pretty much thought that Japanese food was just Sushi. Embarrassing, I know. And I didn't even like Sushi at this stage. However, we brought a bunch of Japanese sauces (and other weird stuff) back to Sydney and tried to cook Okonomiyaki, Yakitori and Teppanyaki at home a few times. Now we only make Okonomiyaki once every few months.

2005 - AFRICAN AND SWEDISH MEATBALLS. One of my first nights in Sydney, Brett took me out for African food. My previous experience of "African" food was a Swedish dish called "Africana", which consists of pork, cream, bananas and coconut. Hahahahahah. No I'm not kidding. (Don't get me wrong, there's some absolutely delicious food in Sweden, but mostly from the European cuisines. But that might have changed by now anyway. I'm not sure) So I had a very pleasant surprise when I had 'real' African food for the first time.

And finally, Swedish meatballs. Or just Swedish food in general. Since I craved anything Swedish and we lived 2 hours from the closest IKEA, I couldn't buy frozen meatballs and Pytt i Panna etc. So I started cooking Swedish food from scratch and suddenly realised how awesome it is. I never really had any proper home cooked Swedish husmanskost growing up, because you simply buy it frozen and reheat it for a quick lunch. But It's unbelievably good.  



2004 - I fell in love with BRETT.

1 comment:

  1. Woo HAHAHA "Year of the Korea BBQ" I love it. I think LMC would agree with you there actually because she keeps suggesting to eat Korean BBQ. yay.

    ReplyDelete